Finally! I am back on top...

Tuesday 8 January 2013
If you are a regular reader, you will know about my constant ankle problems and my journey back to the top...of my high heels :) if you are unfamiliar you can check it out here.

I actually went back to work last Wednesday after the festive season shut down, but decided that I would aim to get back in my regular comfort shoes, which are usually around 4inchs, stiletto and pointy, this week. These are the heels I chose to wear (Gold bling Guess heels!!), for obvious reasons I felt like they were appropriate and a 'gold star' of sorts for being good and doing as my physio said.

Needless to say, pretty much living in thongs and small wedges for the entirety of my break and wearing flatish shoes to work since my most recent ankle sprain, I was definitely feeling the 'pinch' in my ankle, achilles and calf muscle yesterday from wearing these bad boys and from wearing the heels that inspired this blog, today.

The pain made me think two thoughts simultaneously:
1. What stretches and exercises can I do to help this?
2. Dammmmnit, my physio was right "High heels are pretty, but they can also pretty harmful to your body".
So rather than see my physio again and tell him he was right, I decided to research some quick easy stretches you can do to ensure you give your ankles and legs the best chance to wear high heels successfully with minimal pain. These were the best ones I found (Please bear in mind I am not a physio so take care when doing these and seek professional advice if you are unsure):

1. Calf stretch - Link to method
2. Achilles stretch - starts in the same method as described above. However, you slowly bend the knee of the extended leg.
3. Air Counting - Balance on one leg, with the other leg draw the numbers 1-20 in the air with your foot. This helps strengthen the muscles in the support leg / foot, which in turn enables you to react better to potential high heel death wobbles. Detailed here in a previous post.

How do you ensure your high heel wearing foot and ankle health?? Please share your experiences with me and help other members of our community :)

Grace xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment