If you enter Fashions on the Field, be prepared to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Tuesday 6 November 2012
I thought before judging women that I don't know on what they wear at the races I should learn more about the fashions on the field.

After a quick look at the 2012 Myer Fashions on the Field tab on the Melbourne Cup Carnival website, it explains that at each major race meet in Australia there is a Fashions on the Field competition - that the majority of entrants preregister for - then each state's winner advances to the National Fashions on the Field competition that is held on Crown Oaks Day (Ladies Day in the Melbourne Cup Carnival). There are 20+ conditions of entry which includes 'No Commercial Involvement' meaning entrants must purchase and choose their own outifts and cannot receive any money or goods from a third party for entering. After discovering all these facts it was evident to me that the Fashions on the Field was a big deal and some women (and men) spend months planning their outfits. I then checked out the prize list and discovered why the entrants put in so much effort and adhere to all the conditions - $91k Lexus, $6k Myer shopping spree and a $4k watch amongst many other prizes for the winner!!

Melbourne Cup day Fashions on the Field winner was Lauren Andrews, in the middle of the picture below. What do you think?


I am surprised that Lauren won, I thought that this year the Melbourne Cup would be full of colourful and contrasting outfits. I also learnt in my reading today that Lauren wore the same outfit on Caulfield Cup day and did not make the final
"I figured it was too nice not to wear again, I liked it too much to not give it another go,” she said...." The other two women in the pic are the second and third place winners.

My favourite fascinators for the day are these two:
                Link to picture article Link to picture article

Let me know what you think about the winner's outfits and the fascinators and please share with me who your best dressed was for the day!

Keen to see the finalists on Ladies Day :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment