My SKANKle ankle history

Wednesday 5 December 2012
It is about time you all heard the on going saga that is my SKANKle ankle. Ever since I began playing netball (those of you not from Commonwealth nations here is a brief summary of netball), I have had issues with my ankles. This is a list of the foot related injuries I can recall from netball and other things:
  • Ankle roll x 4.
  • Ankle sprain x 3.
  • Ankle sprain with ligament tears x 2.
  • Cracked toenail from opposition jumping on my foot x 2.
  • Ankle sprain from the warm down in a Zumba class - not my most graceful moments.
  • & the most recent of all, both ankles sprained from tripping over my boyfriend's Havaianas whilst wearing my new Guess heels - check them out here, they are very hot!. It is quite funny when I relive it now, as I got an uncontrollable death wobble that I could not recover from, unlike the one in my post entitled "Silver lining of a high heel death wobble", I made a strange noise similar to a crow and fell to the ground in a heap and started sobbing, my poor boyfriend had to quickly run to the concierge desk of the hotel we were staying to get some ice. The one good thing I guess is I am now highly experienced in the treatment of injuries, in particular ankle sprains.
Here are some of my most colourful ankle injuries - enjoy :P
 Right Ankle - 5th June 2012 - Netball Ligament Tears
 Left Ankle - 20th August 2011 - Netball Ligament Tears
Yesterday I thought it was time to see my physio "Benny" about my most recent sprain, he has helped me recover from various ankle sprains but he also blames the wearing of high heels on all my injuries, so I was not keen to tell him how I had actually achieved the most recent injury.
Nervously sitting in the waiting room, Benny called me by saying "What have you done this time?" And once again lectured me about how wearing high heels can severely weaken the muscles around your ankles and shorten your calf muscles, resulting in problems with balance under pressure. I really don't know what he is whinging about - I am paying for his children's education hahahaha. But on a serious note, I have realised that high heels are doing some damage to my feet, ankles and legs and I have vowed to wear flats on the weekends and flats when I have alot of walking to do, keeping a pair of flats in my car for unexpected walking adventures will help this. 

Fortunately being in my line of work means I can still wear heels (once I am recovered) because I get to sit on my butt for the majority of the day x

PS I am due for ankle surgery in April 2013 for the injury on my left ankle from the 20th August - I will need to start buying some pretty flats for my rehab!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment